The Hamlin Memorial Library is located in historic Oxford County Jail. The jail was constructed in 1822 (this year is its 200 anniversary!), and has been a library and museum since 1902. We are indeed a historic building and have been able to maintain the building which is in good condition.
The purpose of our organization is to provide free use of library materials to residents of Paris Hill and the rest of the town of Paris, as well as to provide a local history collection in our museum both for local perusal and research as well as attracting visitors from everywhere.
We receive a small annual appropriation from the town of Paris, but the majority of our funds are raised by the organization. The vast majority of fundraising comes from our Founder’s Day event in July. We do not charge dues of any kind to be a member of the library.
(Provided by Jenn Lewis, Librarian)
Started in 2017, the Hamlin Library Book Club has grown from just a couple of active members to a group of about 10 regular readers. We welcome summer readers every year to join us. We read a book a month, so for the past five years we have read and discussed about 60 books. For May we are reading Finding Freedom by Erin French, the owner of The Lost Kitchen in Freedom, Maine. We select our own books as a group and get guidance from Librarian Jenn Lewis who secures copies on interlibrary loan. Contact the Library for how to join us.
(Provided by Janet Brogan)
The Hamlin Museum is prepping up for summer visitors. We have been in the process of restoring our oil paintings and portraits — currently, the 1901 painting by Frederick Dana Marsh, Lady with Peacock, is at the conservatory and expected back in several months. Our current rotating exhibit is an original copy of the March 12, 1770 issue of the Boston Gazette, one of the few newspapers that depicted the events of the Boston Massacre in detail. Midsummer, the exhibit will be changing over to feature the graves of the Hillside Cemetery on Paris Hill.
(Provided by Brandan Roberts)